Kearney, Nebraska, Opera House Stones
Former Opera House in downtown Kearney, Nebraska, business district
The stones were architectural decorative elements originally located on the facade of the Kearney, Nebraska, Opera House which opened on May 1, 1891. The Opera House hosted entertainment, graduations, and other community events until May 14, 1932, when the last performance occurred. It was demolished in 1954. The Opera House attracted such notable performers as John Philip Sousa. The stones had a prominent position on the front of the Opera House, located atop decorative pilasters that framed the entryway. The stones are graystone quarried from Rawlings, Wyoming, and they stand roughly 3 feet tall, 4 feet wide, and 2 feet deep. They are carved relief renditions of the Thalia and Melpomene symbols, or comedy and tragedy. The stones are now in the possession of the Buffalo County Historical Society at the Trails and Rails Museum.
Buffalo County Historical Society
Buffalo County, Nebraska