History Harvest

Dawes County Historical Society Museum

Dublin Core

Title

Dawes County Historical Society Museum

Description

The Dawes County Historical Society Museum holds thousands of historical artifacts. The items in this collection were contributed as part to the Chadron State College spring 2014 History Harvest.

Source

Dawes County Historical Society Museum, Chadron State College History Harvest, 2014

Rights

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Collection Items

  • warclubsSheridanGates.jpg

    These "heads of Native American war clubs" were found near Sheridan Gates by Rev. E.C. Newland, Prof. E.P. Wilson and Mr. A.E. Sheldon (Secretary of the Nebraska State Historical Society) on trips to locate points of historic interest in anticipation of erecting monuments 1936.

    Along with club heads there is also some stone grinders. Archaic peoples lived in the White River Valley for hundred of years, as evidence shows with historic sites found across the region. The Apaches moved into the Pine Ridge Forest area around 1500 and became known as the Kiowas Apaches. They lived in northwest Nebraska until around 1803, when they were forced out by the Brule Sioux. Sioux and Crow skirmishes followed in the area, with the most famous being the Crow Butte story.
    The area where these stone artifacts were found is near the Beaver Wall area, a well known possible spot of Crazy Horses burial. This area was often a favorite spot of Indians. The Fort Pierre-Fort Laramie Trail ran through this area and was a big fur trading trail. Later on Camp Sheridan and the Spotted Tail Agency was formed near Sheridan Gates.

    Information provided by Dr. James Hanson, Northwest Nebraska's Indian People.
  • 1000 mile Revolver.jpg

    This is a Single Action Colt Revolver Model 1873 (serial number 150681). The revolver was awarded to Joe Gillespie for winning the 1,000 Mile Horse Race from Chadron to Chicago in 1893. The revolver was given by the Colt Revolver Company. The revolver boasts engravings along the barrel, cylinder, and the frame. The handles are made of Ivory and have a raised engraving of a steer. This artifact was contributed by the Dawes County Historical Society.
  • 12728601815_1e02741027_b.jpg

    Red papier-mache fireman's hat with black lettering commemorating the 50th anniversary of Chadron, Nebraska in 1935.
  • civilwarmedal.jpg

    Belonged to Cyrus Byerly. A member of the 37th Regiment Infantry out of Illinois. Known as the "Fremont Rifles" and "Illinois Greyhounds." The 37th were involved in the Battle of Pea Ridge, March 6-8th 1862, the Battle at Prairie Grove in December of 1862 and helped in the siege of Vicksburg in the summer of 1863. Given to museum by Cyrus Byerly's son, E.C. Byerly, who was a Chadron resident.

    Information provided by http://civilwar.illinoisgenweb.org/history/037.html
  • typewriter.jpg

    Enameled and plated metal typewriter with seven rows of black and white colored composition keys and black roller; enameled metal carrying case with oak base and handle; a: typewriter, b: base, c: cover

    Information provided by http://www.wolfsonian.org/explore/collections/smith-premier-typewriter-no-2
  • WWIIgasmask.jpg

    WW2 US M1A2-1-1 Non-Combatant Gas Mask

    This is a US homefront item. As issued during World War II. This is a gas mask that was issued to civilians in the cities of the United States. Complete with canvas carrying case and instructions pamphlet

    Information provided by http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/american/wwii_equipment/civilgas.php
  • Roll Call 1894.jpg

    This is a roll call of the Chadron Fire Department from 1894. It served bookkeeping purposes, listing all members of the Fire Department, and whether they made it to a series of meetings throughout the year. A key to the notations explains if they were present or absent, and if that absence was excused or not, and also if they had paid necessary dues and fines. It suggests that fire was a great concern even in the pioneer days.

    Chadron is the county seat of Dawes County, Nebraska; therefore a document like this is important to understanding the history of the county, and a natural part of the Dawes County Historical Society's collection.

    For interviews and oral histories of this and other items, please visit the History Harvest YouTube channel.
  • Roll Call 1895.jpg

    This is a roll call of the Chadron Fire Department from 1895. It served bookkeeping purposes, listing all members of the Fire Department, who turned out for fire calls, and who showed up at meetings throughout the year. A key to the notations explains if they were present or absent, and if that absence was excused or not, and also if they had paid necessary dues and fines. Compared to the roll call from the previous year, this one seems more organized and higher quality, suggesting that firefighting was very important to the early European-American settlers of Dawes County.

    Chadron is the county seat of Dawes County, Nebraska; therefore a document like this is important to understanding the history of the county, and a natural part of the Dawes County Historical Society's collection.

    For interviews and oral histories of this and other items, please visit the History Harvest YouTube channel.
  • Chdr_Model Steam Engine_DCHS_2.12.14 (2).jpg

    The Weeden Manufacturing Company was located in New Bedford, Massachusetts. The upright steam engine, of which more than 110 different models were made, was one of two types of toy steam engines the company made. From the Weeden Catalogue listing: “It has a highly polished blued brass boiler firmly secured to a durable base. This engine is provided with a water glass with brass cocks, a reversing valve, by means of which it can be run backward or forward with equal speed. The whistle is brass. Face of balance wheel and base under engine are polished nickel.” This model was the first to have a forward and reverse lever and could be reversed while running. It sold for the price of $4.00, when introduced and $4.50 when its production ceased and could be purchased in brass, nickel plated or blued brass. These toys were tested before being packaged. They included parts that could be changed out and instructions for doing so.

    Information provided by http://www.weedensteam.com/vertbase.html
  • Chdr_Porter Chem. Set_DCHS_2.12.14 (2).jpg

    The Porter Chemical Company and the A. C. Gilbert Company began making chemistry laboratory kits in the early 20th century. They were originally marked as educational toys for boys, as a first step towards a career in medicine and science. Most children in America owned a chemistry set when they reached the height of their popularity in the mid-1950s.

    This set was created by the Porter Chemical Company in Hagerstown, MD. This set, as seen on the box was safety approved and educator and scientist tested. The item is a steel box that opens in a 3-fold manner. What would have been included in the set and others like it is instructions for various experiments, test tubes, measuring spoons, scales and other tools to carry out the experiments as well as various chemicals. Most of these original objects, minus a few chemicals, are contained within the exhibit piece.

    Information provided by http://www.chemheritage.org/discover/collections/collection-items/artifacts/porter-chemcraft-senior-chemistry-set.aspx